MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
Introduce yourselves, what are your names and rolls in the band?
- TESSEL: hi! Thank you for having us in the magazine. Our names are Levi Manner, singer, Jens Wierckx, drummer, Thijs van Zutphen, bass player, Florian Verhagen, guitar.
MuzicNotez: How did you meet and form up? How long have you been together?
- TESSEL: Jens, Thijs and I met at school. At the conservatory of Utrecht where we used to study. After i gratueded i had the plan to start this band, that was back in the days at 2017. Ever since we’ve been together as a band. Last year Florian our new guitarist joined us in the band.
MuzicNotez: How did you come up with the name TESSEL?
- TESSEL: Our first song ever made was writen on the dutch islands called Texel. Then we had a sort of demo pitch for hat song, called Beach House, and that radio dj wanted to play our song on national radio (on 3FM). At that point we didn’t decide about our bandname so I told him the story of this song and he suggested to call our band after the island but different spelling. Fun fact, a lot of dutch girls named TESSEL.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the band you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- TESSEL: Definitly John Mayer for me in the early state of singer-wongwriting. After a while I discovered more indie pop acts like Beach Fossils, Mac DeMarco, the 1975.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- TESSEL: Actually, our latest show, which was our release party for our new EP. Home town. A lot of friends and family were around and also a bunch of new ‘fans’(I guess haha) that have seen us playing for the first time. Also we did this show with a little help from a good friend and extra bandmember on keys. That was awesome!
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a band? Any particular message you wish to send?
- TESSEL: I definitely want to play on Lowlands festivals once in my life. I would love to make a full album and press it on vinyl. And also being an inspiration for younger people to communicate through art and to start a band with your friends because that’s one of the most awesome things, that you get to know each other real good!
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is the EP ‘Together’ which has been doing well How would you describe this release?
- TESSEL: It sounds funky, pop and indie at the same time.
MuzicNotez: You have a fun and unique sound, how would you describe your music?
- TESSEL: Our musical genre is a mixture of pop, indie. Our last EP is almost totally self-made. We did the recording and mixing ourselves. Also we try to combine the full thing so that it suits our image fully. We asked the girlfriend of our drummer to design the artworks and we work most of the time with creatives close to us. For example, we did our photoshoot with a friend I’ve met via my girlfriend. She’s new into making photos and wanted to give it a shot and it worked out really well. Also musically we try to combine all of our ideas into one song.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- TESSEL: Maybe maybe a full album one day. We’ll see!
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- TESSEL: Not really, thanks again and hope to see the interview soon! Thanks 🙂 Happy day.