MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Deadman Rashaun: I began writing music at age 10. My mother Pastor Inez Williams wrote gospel music for groups and I followed in her footsteps.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Deadman Rashaun: I grew up a fan of the greats naturally. James Brown, The Supremes, Barry White. But growing up I believe my most influential stars I idol isBig-L, New Edition, Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J, Slick Rick, Ice-T, Angela Winbush, Eric-B & Rakim and Sade mainly.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Deadman Rashaun: My ultimate goal is to leave a legacy of music that’ll last long after God calls me home. I don’t have to have Jay-Z status, but I want the world to know I existsed. I want MY name to come up in those conversations like a Nas, Rakim, Jadakiss, Or Kool G Rap does as Top 5 or Who’s the Best emcees in YOUR Top 10, ya know?
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Deadman Rashaun: The greatest concert I’ve ever been to was Heavy-D (RIP), Mc Lyte, 2 Live Crew and Al B Sure in Columbia, SC.
The greatest show I was apart of was Masta Ace, MC Lyte, and Positive-K. I was apart of a group called “190 Proof” and we were the opening act.
MuzicNotez: Your music has been rising to the top of the charts release after release. How does it feel to see your hard work pay off like that?
- Deadman Rashaun: Ah man… It feels like dang.. I FINALLY made it! The thing is, you don’t know if folk will receive your music well no matter what you do, so to see my song “The Greatness” be on top of The Itunes charts with the “Predicted Platinum Deluxe ep” and my NEXT single “That’s Just Life” peak at #2 on Itunes with The “Smoke Chronicles” compilation album is a blessing! I look on my wall and I see plaques that say “billboard” and “ITunes” on em. I smile every time I walk by em because I KNOW I’m blessed because there’s major label artists who don’t have plaques on their walls and I DO.
MuzicNotez: The next hit release you’re about to drop is the album ‘On The Chain’, what can you tell us about this release? When does it drop?
- Deadman Rashaun: The new album drops May 4th. I have production from Rokk Mass Ent. From Detroit, Mich. The UK legend Dreamlife who produced for Big Krit and Bun-B from UGK, Ryini & Maroon 5, The West Coast legend Faided who produced for E-40 and great artists like Wreckless610 from Philly, Derf da Juganot from Harlem and my sister Celeste who has been called “The next Monica”, Breana marin, DJ Zaino from Dubai and King Tru Official from Nigeria.
MuzicNotez: You collab with a lot of great artists, what’s the key to a great collaboration? Your vision is key.
- Deadman Rashaun: There’s artists like John Jigg$ from Long Island whom I respect to death that’s a humble man but is an absolute BEAST on the mic. We connect like rice & gravy. Even singers like Breana Marin and Alex Marie Brinkley. If you go to their Spotify pages, you’d be like “How the heck you connect with THEM”, lol.. BUT God puts folk in your life that will make you BOTH better.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Deadman Rashaun: My boss lady Tiffany Gaines who’s CEO of SSMG/UNIVERSAL told me in February “I’ve 16 compilation albums dropping this year, and I need you on ALL OF EM”! I said “OKAY” so you’ll hear my music ALL YEAR LONG! I’ll make sure to let you know when each of em drops okay.
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Deadman Rashaun: Yes, BELIEVE IN YOUR MUSIC. ALWAYS STAY TRUE TO YOUR HEART. There’s an audience for EVERYONE OF US, so Be the first YOU, NOT the next THEM. And please follow me on Spotify and IG. I’ll be sure to follow back because that’s the ONLY way our music will survive. We MUST connect, ya dig!? Keep the name “DEADMAN RASHAUN” in your mind because I’m here and my music is ONLY gonna get better from here on. PEACE!!