MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Chloé Caroline: Thank you for having me! I definitely grew up in a musical household as my dad was in bands & just a huge music lover always introducing me to every era and genre. But at the same time, I always felt called to it. It was my source of “fullness” if that makes any sense. Whether it was singing myself to sleep at night, or making up songs on the piano at 6 for fun—I’d get lost in it. But yeah, I wrote my first songs at 6, however it wasn’t until I was 11 and was battling a life threatening illness that it became my world. I taught myself guitar on YouTube and writing songs was my way of coping.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Chloé Caroline: I’m a huge old soul and being born and raised in the melting pot that is Southern California rubbed off on me. I’ve always loved the 1970s— Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac, Carole King…these artists that were incredibly intentional lyricists but also has elements of pop, rock, and soul within their sounds creating something fresh. I also grew up in the time of Avril Lavigne, Gavin DeGraw, and Michelle Branch who similarly had this same combo. I wanted to create a New Southern California sound that had infectiously commercial pop melody but still combined real instruments with synthetic, elements of soul/rock, and still had storytelling/meaningful lyrics. I also love when a song feels cinematic, timeless, and brings a feel-good energy despite a deeper lyric.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Chloé Caroline: I want to always be a Lightworker in a world that can be so dark. My goal is for nobody to feel alone. That it will awaken hope, understanding and connection one by one. That it will be able to inspire people to live in alignment with their best selves, love bigger and create more. To stop limiting themselves and realize everything is possible. It just begins with focusing on what brings us joy and leading with that.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Chloé Caroline: Harry Styles with Stevie Nicks as the special guest (I sobbed). As far as my favorite show I’ve performed, I’d probably say when I sold out Hotel Cafe for the first time or Bluebird Cafe.
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is your EP ‘The Awakening Vol. 1’, how would you describe this release?
- Chloé Caroline: 6 songs that take you on the journey of surrendering to the unknown, learning to trust we’re always exactly where we are meant to be, and the incredible blessings that are possible when we do. It was written at a point when I really was coming home to myself in a full spiritual awakening, healing from heartbreak and finding total peace being alone, but refusing to give up hope that love would arrive. If you’re into zodiac signs, manifestation, and full moons—it’s especially for you!
MuzicNotez: How do you want people to feel when hearing your music?
- Chloé Caroline: Understood. Free. Hopeful. Better.
MuzicNotez: Do you write all of your music? If so, what inspires you?
- Chloé Caroline: I do! I love writing songs more than anything else in the world. I get inspiration from the truth. Whether that’s my story or someone else’s or a walk by the beach (I get a zillion ideas in nature). I get inspired by other art as well, creativity sparks creativity. It could be a painting or a poem—-I’m always trying to soak the world in around me.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Chloé Caroline: SO much music. I’ve got the 2nd EP, Vol 2 of “The Awakening” ready to go, plus some awesome collabs I’m excited about, a short film, and continuing to record new episodes of my podcast I co-host Unwritten. Also have some fun shows in the works including my first international festival—I’m playing Canadian Music Week in Toronto in June! (I have dual citizenship so it’s extra exciting)
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Chloé Caroline: Listen to your gut, your heart, your mom, and good music! Always 😉