Why is it so important for independent music artists to receive magazine features?
Reviews and interviews in online magazines and blogs provide not only exposure but credibility for independent music artists. They help to establish the artist’s brand and reach a wider audience. The best way for an artist to build their fan base is to improve their online presence. There’s no way to better gain notoriety than being featured in various music magazines and blogs. Additionally, having a presence in online media can make it easier for artists to secure gigs and other opportunities, as well as increase the chances of their music being discovered by record labels and other industry professionals.
These are some of the biggest benefits to being featured in online magazines:
- Increased visibility: Online magazines can help musicians increase their visibility and reach a larger audience.
- Credibility: Press coverage in online magazines can establish credibility and legitimacy for musicians, making them appear more professional and reputable. Plus add your secured press to your press kit.
- Exposure to new fans: Online magazines can expose musicians to new fans who may not have heard of them otherwise.
- Improved search engine optimization (SEO): Online press coverage can help improve a musician’s search engine rankings, making it easier for fans to find their content online.
- Increased social media engagement: Press coverage can also drive traffic to a musician’s social media profiles, resulting in increased engagement and followers. Each secured feature gives you another reason to promote yourself.
- Boost in ticket sales: Increased visibility and exposure can lead to a boost in ticket sales for live shows and concerts. Helping boost your profits.
- Networking opportunities: Press coverage can provide musicians with opportunities to network with other musicians, industry professionals, and journalists. Never know who you’ll meet, embrace every opportunity.
The best way to grow your organic traffic back to your own artist website or other social links, is through building your SEO (Search Engine Optimization). More than likely your website won’t have a ton of content, which is one of the ways to build SEO, so your most powerful tool is creating as many back links back to your website that you can, through reputable music sites via reviews and interviews. This is something that a lot of musicians might not think about, but that businesses like ours think about every day. Your music career is a business, treat it that way and you’ll succeed!
Best ways to improve your SEO and gain traffic:
- Conduct keyword research: Identify keywords related to you (music genre, location, name). Use these keywords in your website content, page titles, and meta descriptions.
- Optimize your website content: Ensure that your website’s content is high-quality, relevant, and informative. Use header tags (H1, H2, etc.) to structure your content and make it easy to read.
- Build high-quality backlinks: Backlinks are links from other websites to your site. The more high-quality backlinks you have through music magazines, the higher your website will rank in search engine results pages.
- Use social media: Social media can help you increase your visibility online and drive traffic to your website. Share your new music on social media and engage with your fans to build your online presence.
- Make your website mobile-friendly: A mobile-friendly website provides a better user experience for users accessing your site on mobile devices, which can also impact your search engine rankings.
- Keep your website updated: Regularly updating your website with fresh, relevant content can help you maintain your search engine rankings and attract new visitors. Have a blog roll on your artist website, posting news of your new songs, new projects. Keeping your fans updated and building content.
Remember that SEO is a long-term process, and you may not see immediate results. However, by following these steps and consistently working on your SEO, you can improve your online visibility over time.
How can you become featured in magazines?
There’s a long list of ways to secure reviews and interviews in magazines. The process takes time and patience, but pays off in the long run. If you have the promotional budget, paying for reviews and interviews is a quick way to cut through the red tape and guarantee some quality press for yourself.
Here are some quick steps independent music artists can take to receive reviews and interviews in magazines and blogs:
- Build a strong online presence: Establish a website, social media profiles, and a mailing list to promote your music and connect with fans and media outlets. Without this, no magazine will take you seriously.
- Network with music industry professionals: Attend music events, join online communities, and connect with music journalists, bloggers, and other industry professionals to increase your visibility and build relationships.
- Submit your music to music blogs and online magazines: Many online music publications accept music submissions from independent artists. Make sure to follow the submission guidelines and provide a well-crafted pitch that showcases your music and your story. Include a quick link to yoru website and music for them to listen to right away.
- Collaborate with other artists and industry professionals: Collaborating with other artists and industry professionals can help increase your exposure and lead to reviews and interviews. Consider participating in compilations, remix projects, or other projects that can bring you into contact with new audiences and potential supporters.
- Pay for features: Time is money, sometimes it’s best to just pay for some guaranteed features so you can better use your time to create more music. Investing in yourself this way will pay off in the long run.
Remember that persistence is key. Not every submission or contact will result in a review or interview, but by continually promoting your music and building relationships with media outlets, you can increase your chances of getting coverage.
How do you know if a music magazine is the right one for you?
- Research your target audience: Look for music magazines that cater to your target demographic and music genre. Preferably a magazine that caters to a broad range of genres, which will reach the widest audience.
- Check out their social pages, make sure that they’re actively promoting new reviews and interviews of artists like yourself.
- Read reviews and testimonials on the site, what did other artists think?
- Look around, determine if you think the site looks good, up to date, mobile friendly. If they spent time to build a good looking site, they will take time to promote you. Read other reviews and interviews, imagine yourself in those features and if it’s what you want.
- Try contacting them, if their responsive and answer your questions, that’s a good sign.
Find top rated press opportunities here.
Creating your music is just one step to being an artist. All of the successful artists talk about the grind early on to finally become heard. We always talk about treating your music career like a business. With this said, we’re always trying to provide tips in digital marketing that we instill here at MuzicNotez, which you can also benefit from. Each artist has to decide where their time and money is best spent. The most important thing is that you keep working, keep reaching out to more press and fans. Working hard always pays off in the end. The artists that work the hardest, stand out from the crowd in a very competitive market. Keep grinding, believe in yourself and good luck!