Interview with Alternative Pop Artist Sadie Fine
MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Sadie Fine: I was 13 years old when I wrote my first song. I was getting bullied in middle school. I wrote a song titled “Popular” on ukulele. I performed it a week later at an open mic night, at a local bar. I’ve been performing live ever since.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Sadie Fine: I saw The Lumineers when I was 13. Their music told a story for the entire concert. I went home and wrote a great song, at about 1am. I also love Billie Eilish. She’s not afraid to write about tough, real topics. I try to do the same.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Sadie Fine: I want my music to touch and inspire people just like The Lumineers inspired me that night. Maybe my music can comfort someone that is going through a tough time, like I was when I was 13.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Sadie Fine: I’ve been to a lot of great concerts. I went to Lollapalooza last summer. Seeing Billie Eilish was crazy. There were over 100,000 people in that field to see her. As far as my own performances, I love playing the Bluebird, in Nashville, the amount of great performers that have played their before me is mind blowing. Sitting in the seat that young Taylor Swift sat in is pretty crazy to think about.
MuzicNotez: You have been busy this year releasing a lot of new music. Your latest release is ‘Friends With Benefits’. What’s your songwriting process like?
- Sadie Fine: I typically get a melody stuck in my head and I’ll play it on the guitar or piano. I’ll go in and fill that melody in with lyrics about something that is going on in life. Lots of song writers write Lyrics first then a melody. I’m totally backwards. “Friends With Benefits” is about a TikTok I had just watched where a girl was in a “situationship” and she wanted to be more than FWBs. I’ve wrote a few songs based on TikToks I watch. There might be TikTokers out there that have a song about them and not even know!
MuzicNotez: Before that, you released your EP ‘Detox’ back in May (2023), what inspired this release? How would you describe it to new fans?
- Sadie Fine: 3 of the 5 songs on the “Detox” EP were based on a on again, off again relationship. I wrote so many songs about that time in my life! “Grow Up” was based on a teacher who told me that music wasn’t a career. “Use Me” was written about a TikTok, again! I think my music is unique. It is definitely Alt/indie Pop. Most songs have an acoustic guitar base because that’s the way they were originally written but lots of pop elements in the production. I love bass in my car so they all have good bass. As far as my voice goes, I have lots of soul to my voice but I also have the ability to throw in some fast paced rap style lyric delivery. I’m very unique. I might have some rap/R&B songs coming up soon!
MuzicNotez: You say your music is your “Not so private, diary”. How does it feel to put so much of yourself out there and get such a positive response to your musical diary?
- Sadie Fine: Most people don’t understand what it’s like to be so vulnerable. That’s kind of the life of a musician. And it’s not just music, it’s social media too. You must be good at social media to be a musician anymore. I put a lot of my life out there. It’s tough to be so open at times. My dad joins me a lot on social media so he’s throwing himself out there too.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Sadie Fine: I have 3 more songs coming on this EP. The next song being released in January 2024, might be my best song yet. We recently got it back from being mixed and mastered. I’m just blown away by how good it turned out.
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Sadie Fine: There are big things coming for 2024! Follow along @sadiefinesingsfine on social media to see behind the scenes of what’s going on. Thank you so much for taking the time to interview me!