Interview with Rock Band The Complaints
MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
Introduce yourselves, what are your names and roles in the band?
- The Complaints (Dean Petrella): Dean Petrella [lead vocals, guitars and keyboard], Anthony Marotti [Drums & backing vocals] and Chris Cruz [Bass and backing vocals]
MuzicNotez: How did you meet and form up? How long have you been together?
- The Complaints: Anthony and Chris met in high school. They had seen me play a solo gig and liked my writing style. We later met at gig where our bands at the time were on the same bill. We’ve been together for 20 + years!
MuzicNotez: How did you come up with the name The Complaints?
- The Complaints: “Complaining” is the essence of rock n roll, plus it sounded cool.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the band you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- The Complaints: Tom Petty, Elvis Costello, The Police, The Beatles etc.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- The Complaints: We recently played a show with the Gin Blossoms and Collective Soul in our hometown of Providence. It was an amazing outdoor concert with thousands of fans rocking out, it was pure magic.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a band? Any particular message you wish to send?
- The Complaints: We love to play live [we tend to play 150+ live shows per year] and we love to write and record our songs. Or goal is to continue to bring our music to a larger global audience.
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is the album released this summer ‘Chasing Light’. What inspired this album?
- The Complaints: Most of the album was co-written with our good friend Joe Martira. Chasing Light is a collection of our newest songs and the theme [and song] Chasing Light is intended to provide hope for all of us who struggle with anxiety and depression.
MuzicNotez: What sets ‘Chasing Light’ apart from your previous albums?
- The Complaints: I have been spending a lot of time in Nashville, writing and performing. I feel when you spend time around the best songwriters in the world, your writing can only improve. Joe and I are in Nashville every couple of months, this album has some of that songwriter influence in it, mixed with The Complaints’ straight up rock feel.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- The Complaints: We have been working on songs for multiple movie soundtracks, continue to play live 150+ shows per year and have already started recording the next album. Looking to spend even more time in Nashville as well.
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- The Complaints: We want to thank our families, friends and fans for years of continuous support. To all you music lovers, please go out and support your local musicians. It takes a lot of work and dedication from the musicians to keep playing live, but they can’t do it without the fans support, so let’s keep rocking!