MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- miicah: I first felt a musical connection clear back to when Green Day released “boulevard of broken dreams”. I felt something that made me fall in love with music ever since. But I was about 7 or 8 years old. When I first had the motivation to create my own music was in 2013, I was 13 years old and has just bought a garbage laptop and started making beats on FL studio while recording vocals on my phone.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- miicah: My original influence to create my own music came from Twenty One Pilots. When they released their album “Blurryface” I fell in love at the many textures and genres put into it. At the time being, I had never heard anything like it. I was also kind of raised on hip hop! Biggie Smalls, Ice Cube, and Eminem were artist that my parents played quite a bit. I had a huge love for Rap.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- miicah: My only goal with music is to keep creating music that means something to me. I put a lot of emotion into my lyrics and and production and all I really care about is if it helps someone have a better day. Life keeps getting tougher and music has always given me a reason to get up despite the darkness that can fill our lives. I know i have the ability to write and I feel like it’s my way of paying it back to the universe. The energy of inspiration doesn’t come from just anywhere. My message is that it gets better and that you are not alone in your fight.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- miicah: The best concert i’ve ever been to… that’s a good one. I feel like i’ve been to so many haha. I’d say Twenty One Pilots in 2019. Or when I saw Crumb perform for the first time in Utah. Crumb sounded even better live which I thought would be impossible!!! Killer musicians in that band.
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is your album ‘bad holiday’, which has been doing very well so far. What inspired this album? What’s this release mean to you?
- miicah: Thank you! This album has meant so much to me. There are quite a few things that inspired this album. I’m a lover of conceptual music too, so I have like a whole story line that i’m writing that goes in line with this album. Mainly the feeling of going through a major lifestyle change is what drove this album to its destination. It’s about being in between 2 comfortable places but feeling very uncomfortable. The whole album follows a dream sequence from start to finish. We are introduced with a question in the track “brain chemistry” then there’s the rabbit chase in “loneliiness”. The rest of the album is represented as a dream. As we reach “bad holiday” is when we are waking from the slumber and by “environment” we have the answer to our question.
To me, it is a direct reflection of how i process change. It’s never been easy for me but I always figure it out and find my place after a bit of self evaluation and struggle. This album is my best work yet. So to see it doing so well feels like a dream come true.
MuzicNotez: Proof of your success, is appearing on major playlists like ‘Fresh Finds’ on Spotify with your single ‘someone else’. How’s it feel to see your music being appreciated like this?
- miicah: Yeah this is crazy! When I saw that, I immediately thanked God. It means so much to me to have my music being streamed by so many. it only ups my chances of helping someone who may be struggling with something similar to me and I actually have been able to connect with a very cool person locally because of this playlist. This particular person found my song, then drove an hour to come to my show the next day and I got to talk to him for a few hours and man, it was a blessing. There are truly some amazing people out there and to meet them through a connection of what was created out of my pain is something truly spectacular and amazing. I love music!!
MuzicNotez: You list your genre as Gazepop, for those that aren’t all that familiar with this genre, how would you describe it?
- miicah: Yeah so Gazepop is something me and my drummer “Hunter Flick” came up with. We wanted to define our sound with a word. I thought of Gazepop. My music feels like a mixture of indie pop with hip hop undertones spiced with indie shoegaze and surf rock. Gazepop kinda has a sound to it like “music to gaze to.””music to find meaning in the small things we catch ourselves staring at” I don’t know haha but it just feels right.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- miicah: I am working on plenty of music! Just this year I have released about 15 tracks. I plan for the next year to be releasing a single every month! I feel it would be a fun way to do another album but let the fans and listeners hear the process as I go. a very spread out album haha.
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- miicah: I’m excited to see where music will take me and the amazing people I will get to meet. I love all of my listeners and I am so happy to be able to connect with so many of them right now. Love you all and stream “bad holiday” <333