MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Jackson Dollinger: I first began creating music when I was around 12 ½ or 13 years old after finding a producer named Nick Mira making beats in a YouTube video. As I played around with GarageBand, I couldn’t stop myself from being addicted to making beats. Then, I purchased Logic Pro X, a program used in the industry for music production, which I still use to this day. I eventually started writing and singing over the beats I created, and my parents supported me in doing so. I found a vocal coach and just kept writing songs, each of which improved.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Jackson Dollinger: Some of the artists and producers that influenced me are Juice WRLD, Nick Mira, Justin Bieber, Iann Dior, Dro Kenji, and Machine Gun Kelly. I’m currently very inspired the underground and hyperpop sound, which is prevalent in some of my unreleased music.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Jackson Dollinger: I definitely want to produce and songwrite for other artists. I would also love to hit a million streams on one of my songs, that would be a huge milestone for my music. I also hope to inspire other kids and encourage them to chase their dreams.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Jackson Dollinger: I have actually never been to a proper concert before or performed any of my music live. I definitely look forward to both of those things though. An artist that I would love to see live is The Kid Laroi.
MuzicNotez: Your have a new single coming out on November 11th, ‘One and Only’, what can you tell us about this track?
- Jackson Dollinger: “One and Only” is an upbeat pop song about being by yourself and missing a person you felt complete with. The song was written, produced, and recorded by me! “One and Only” was created in my home studio about a year and a half ago when I had just turned 14. I actually made the beat and recorded the first verse and the pre-chorus before I added the hook 1 month later.
MuzicNotez: You write your own music, whats your songwriting process like?
- Jackson Dollinger: I always start off with the beat, which could be produced by me or one of my friends. Next, I lay down one long take of “melodic mumbling” over the entire length of the beat and use that to choose the vocal melodies that I want to use for each part of the song. Then, I fill in these mumbles with lyrics, and am left with a song! That is a loose outline of my process, but I am constantly switching up little things to keep it fresh.
MuzicNotez: You recorded this in your home studio, whats your recording process like and how did you learn to produce music?
- Jackson Dollinger: I’m completely self taught in music production. I actually learned during quarantine with all the spare time I had.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Jackson Dollinger: I am currently working on “Pretty Freekin’ Scary,” an upcoming Disney Channel series that will debut in the summer of 2023. I also played Gavin in the recently released “Life By Ella” show on Apple TV+. Tons of new music on the way as well!