MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- DMINQ: It is an honor to be interviewed by you Nick! I have been singing since I was three years young, but I also come from a musical family. My grandmother was a big motivator in me getting into music and playing instruments such as the violin, viola, cello, drums, percussion and piano. As a teen I was able to play behind many gospel artists and getting to travel to play really got me interested in production. Seeing guys like Kirk Franklin and Kurt Carr live in person was such a sight to see and so I said I want to do that. Little did I know Gospel was not for me, but I figured it out. Well, I was told that R&B was my lane and the people that said it were right!
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- DMINQ: As I mentioned, Kirk Franklin, Kurt Carr, but also I must throw in Marvin Gaye, Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Aaron Spears, Calvin Rogers, Eric Bellinger, Ty Dolla Sign, Devvon Terrell just to name a few. These are guys that I listen to and really look up to for inspiration and motivation.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- DMINQ: I guess the message I want to send is simply be yourself and trust yourself. It’s okay to want to be like someone, but at the end of the day, no one has your voice, your ears, your confidence. I’ve learned to find my lane and ride the wave.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- DMINQ: OOOOOO That is a great question. The greatest concert I’ve been to was Janet Jacksons Up Close and Personal Tour. The greatest concert I have performed so far was my album release concert in Colorado Springs last year. That show was amazing and not one person left feeling bad or not feeling like they didn’t have a good experience.
MuzicNotez: Your latest single is ‘Fight For You’, what inspired this track?
- DMINQ: So that song is one side of a conversation between myself and a person I love, but he was cheating and once I confronted him he admitted he didn’t want me anymore, but I began begging and giving him an ultimatum. At the end of it all though I wanted him to know I will fight for you regardless because I love you with my whole heart.
MuzicNotez: You started creating music at a young age and have found a lot of success throughout the years already, what would you recommend to young artists just starting out to find success?
- DMINQ: Find your sound and stick with it. Also, listen to the real ones around you when they tell you things. Not everyone is jealous or wanting to be in your spot, some genuinely want to see you succeed and become successful at what you want to do.
MuzicNotez: What can you tell us about Art Matters Productions?
- DMINQ: Art Matters Productions started in 2017 as a record label for myself. I had one artist by the name of DER in 2018 who did amazing that year, but my dream was for it to be more. I wanted to be the guy that builds platforms and bridges for others who, like me, were struggling to find spaces to create and perform. Now, that dream is coming true. We opened our first recording studio in Rocky Ford, CO on February 21 of this year. We are the first of its kind in this town and we are so blessed. We just had our first concert on April 22 which was almost sold out. And we are planning many more concerts and events that will be held through the summer.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- DMINQ: Well aside from releasing FIGHT FOR YOU, I have released another single on April 22 called B.I.D: Bust It Down featuring my boy Qunicy Tyree. I have another single called PROUD OF ME coming May 30 and I have another four singles coming prior to the album dropping. My company has another show on May 20 and June 4. I am working on my third album which I will share the title and concept later, but that is set to release this fall.
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- DMINQ: I just want people to know that I can follow my dreams, so can you! I honestly didn’t think I could do this at first because so many people would look down on me, but one day I got the courage and here we are!