MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- The Indien: I think it was the feeling of singing along to everything on radio and tv that made me go back to it over and over again. Can’t remember an exact age but my mom always tells me it started from when I could talk, which is probably exaggerated. I’ve started creating mus ic from that age on, never stopped and probably never will haha.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- The Indien: I liked a lot of different music, for example I had a record player in my room and loves to play my parents vinyl collection with artists like Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Melanie and Joni Mitchell. But I also loved ‘new’ music like The Spice Girls, Alanis Morissette, and Nirvana.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- The Indien: I would like to think of my music being comforting. Maybe someone has dealt with something similar or has had the same thoughts or feelings I’m singing about. Also, music can take you to a whole different place, I love that aspect as well.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- The Indien: My favourite show was probably at Lowlands in The Netherlands. This is one of the best festivals and also one I love to go to myself. So being on that same stage where I looked up to all those great artists in the years before was magical. And the best concert(s) I’ve ever been to were all Bon Iver’s haha, I cried everytime and he inspires me so much.
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is the single ‘Be Yours’, what inspired this track?
- The Indien: The insecurity when everything in your relationship seems to fall apart. It took me some time to write something pure and profound about this place I was in. Instead of trying to be clear about everything I wanted it to sound like I was in a fuzzy state of mind. Like your head was stuck between pillows.
MuzicNotez: You have found a lot of success as an artist, what kind of advice would you give to other artists out there just starting out?
- The Indien: Oh I really don’t feel like I should give advise as it feels like I’m just starting out. Even though I’ve been ‘building’ for years everything feels new and exciting for me. But if I have to say something it is that you should try to create a circle of people around you that you trust and can laugh with.
MuzicNotez: When you’re not making music, what are your favorite hobbies?
- The Indien: Cooking and eating. Maybe this is my number one hobby but don’t tell my manager.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- The Indien: A lot more music, I’ve written a bunch and more is coming. Hopefully a lot of live shows and dancing with all you beautiful people.