MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Hartsel: I think I started creating once I learned how to harmonize by ear listening to a Chaka Khan song that had notes I couldn’t reach. Ha ha. That was around the age of 12.
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Hartsel: My all time favorite band and influence was/is Rufus and Chaka Khan. Next was Donna Summer, who was my first celebrity crush! The music of the 70s was a huge influence on me – The Sylvers, Dolly Parton, Dan Fogelberg, The Eagles, The Bee Gees, Teddy Pendergrass, Sister Sledge. All of these and so many more were played on AM radio so AM radio played a big part.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Hartsel: The ultimate goal would be to have a good string of number ones or to be a well-known Top 10 frequent flyer! My message is simply love – being in love, loving your fellow man, recovering from a heartbreak. LOVE.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Hartsel: I’m going to say it was seeing Lalah Hathaway here in Atlanta. Her voice was so smooth, she was humorous, personable plus she had Rahsaan Patterson open for her and he sang backup with her!
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is ‘My Number 1’, what inspired this track and how would you describe it?
- Hartsel: My producer, Jaeforte gave me the track and because I write about love so much I started of different ways to express love. The lyrics just flowed from the thought of wanting to write a love song.
MuzicNotez: A lot of your music releases have placed highly on music charts, how does it feel to have your music received so well?
- Hartsel: I was and am elated that I was received so well right off the bat! My first project, Stay With Me, had several sings that were curated, which helped solidify for me having legitimate talent.
MuzicNotez: What’s your writing style like?
- Hartsel: I have no idea! I just write as I am inspired, and I am truthful to myself in my lyrics. EVERY word was written from my heart.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Hartsel: Very shortly, my whole project will be out. It’s called A PLACE FOR US, and I’m excited about it! It’s a smooth collection of songs. I dedicated the whole project to Nigel Shelby, the young gay teenager from Alabama who committed suicide. Each song is experiences he could’ve had.
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Hartsel: LIVE! LOVE! DANCE!