MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
Introduce yourselves, what are your names and rolls in the band?
- Luna Blue: The honour is all ours!
• Tom High – Lead Vocals & Rhythm Guitar
• Ryan Wellman – Lead Guitar
• Nick Davie – Bass Guitar & Backing Vocals
• Seb Bowen – Drums
Interview questions answered by Nick.
MuzicNotez: How did you meet and form up? How long have you been together?
- Luna Blue: This particular line-up of the band has been together since the start of 2015, when we all met doing a Music degree at Chichester University. Seb and Ryan had a formative version of the band after meeting at music college a year or 2 prior to meeting Tom and I.
MuzicNotez: How did you come up with the name Luna Blue?
- Luna Blue: It was actually our close friend Max McCleod who came with the name. He was in the band with Seb and Ryan at college, and when they came to Uni we just kinda stuck with it – cheers Max!
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the band you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Luna Blue: For us – personally and as a band – those are 2 very different answers. As a band, we usually take from influences such as Don Broco, Nothing But Thieves, The Foals and Everything Everything. However, Tom (being a singing nerd) is a die-hard Jeff Buckley fan. Ryan had an intense obsession with Jimi Hendrix and The Red Hot Chilli Peppers growing up. Myself and Seb are still in our emo phase, primarily listening to heavy and prog music – although we have greatly expanded our music taste to other styles as well.
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Luna Blue: Nick – seeing Tool headline Download Festival 2019 felt like an out of body experience, it was so intense and amazing. I know Seb, Tom and Ryan all say they had a similar experience at Reading Festival 2016 with The Foals.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a band? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Luna Blue: We would love the band to get to a point where we’re all earning enough money to make it our full-time thing, as we’re currently all working full-time jobs and funding Luna Blue! Past that… take it as far as we can go, playing on stages with the giants like Don Broco, Two Door Cinema Club, The Foals etc. Collaborating with Producers like Greg Kursten, you know just have fun with it, make some incredible music and hopefully become giants ourselves someday!
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is the single ‘2003’ which has been doing amazing so far. What inspired this blast from the past track?
- Luna Blue: Maybe the sound of a few heavier indie bands like Don Broco and Nothing but Thieves. But the bridge of this song is also funky AF which we took a bit from Ryan’s influences. I grew up playing in Big Bands doing loads of 30s / 40s jazz music on trumpet and trombone as well, which is where those big brass lines come from. Believe it or not, that was actually our Producer Jack’s idea!
MuzicNotez: ‘2003’ has been catching fire, making its way on to big Spotify playlists (where we found you), how’s it feel all of this success?
- Luna Blue: We’re still almost a little dumbfounded if I’m honest. We have a weekly meeting and it’s a real good time when talking about it in those. It actually brought us to the 1 million streams on Spotify this week, which is MENTAL. We really appreciate everyone who’s worked on it, and of course all our incredible, loyal and amazing fans!
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Luna Blue: Ooooo exciting stuff, we’ve got five more songs being released throughout this year (landing on an end of year album), loads of festivals, headline shows in Brighton and London… and more! And we’ve just signed a new publishing deal, so definitely exciting times!
MuzicNotez: For other independent artists looking to find the success you are right now, what kind of advice would you give?
- Luna Blue: 1. Gig loads, 2. pay close attention to the latest buzz in social media and 3. have a good time and stay passionate about what you’re doing! Those are the 3 most important things…
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Luna Blue: We love you all, thanks SO much for the support, we appreciate every single one of you, keep streaming our music and buying our merch so we can eventually do this full time for you!