MuzicNotez: First off, it’s an honor to be doing this interview with you, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us.
What motivated you to start creating music? What age did you begin?
- Ron G.: I’ve always loved music, I loved listening to music and I loved dancing to music. As a child I remember watching the music awards and saying to myself “ someday that’s gonna be me, I’m going to be on that stage”. I began making music at age 17 while in high school.
Apple Music: Grab The Album Here »
MuzicNotez: Who were your musical influences, idols, or bands growing up that have helped mold you into the musician you are today? Or helped mold the music that you create?
- Ron G.: I’m a huge Michael Jackson fan because he was just amazing! His style and versatility was just so incredible. I also was influenced by Mos Def, and a little later on the band N.E.R.D because they are so different, they don’t care to fit into any mold or box this band makes the kind of music they want to make and that’s cool to me, the have many styles and that’s what I’m my opinion makes them different! Listening to these artists showed me how it’s ok to just be you, don’t try to immolate anyone, don’t try to copy, just be your own artist.
MuzicNotez: What’s the ultimate goal you want your music to achieve, or for you to achieve in your career as a musician? Any particular message you wish to send?
- Ron G.: My ultimate goal is to have my music internationally know and appreciated by many loyal fans. My music is available worldwide through platforms but I want to achieve the level of being known internationally. I also want to have the opportunity to work with those I respect in the industry, to be able to collaborate with them on a song would be dope for me!
MuzicNotez: What’s the greatest concert you’ve ever been to or performed?
- Ron G.: I performed a concert at a venue in Philadelphia a few years ago for my album Media Mogul and straight rocked the house! The love and respect shown by the audience was amazing, they really appreciated my music and my performance, that was a lot of fun for me!
MuzicNotez: Your latest release is the album ‘For The Culture 1’, what inspired this album, and how would you describe it?
- Ron G.: For the Culture 1 was inspired by a need for good music that does not sound like what you hear on the radio. I don’t listen to a lot of songs on the radio for that very reason they mostly sound alike so I made an album that was different for those who want different who might feel like I do. For the Culture 1 is an upbeat fast pace type of album where I take the listener on a journey showing them a little about my life and who I am as an artist. The first song “Woke up feelin like new day” is me getting up out of bed and begging my day and telling a story throughout the album to the last song “ I’m speaking” is me saying I’m still here talking and y’all gonna listen.
MuzicNotez: You have released a number of albums, and continue to evolve. What makes this release different?
- Ron G.: What makes For the Culture 1 different is that I’ve grown as an artist. This album is one I’m most proud of. I’ve also done more collaborations on this album than any of my other albums so I’ve worked with more artist to create this album which is good for me because that makes me stretch and maybe try something different I might not have thought of.
MuzicNotez: What’s your recording process like when creating music? How has it changed throughout the years?
- Ron G.: When I step into the studio to record I’m already prepared. I have my verse and the hook memorized so I don’t have to do too many takes. I like it that way because it flows better, it doesn’t sound like you’re reading off of a paper or you’ve just written it 5 minutes ago. This differs from when I first started rapping I would sometimes write my verse while in the studio and mess up so many times there would be multiple takes just to get it right.
MuzicNotez: What else are you working on? What can we expect to see and hear from you in the future?
- Ron G.: I’m currently working on three albums simultaneously… For the Culture 2, Back to Manhattan, and Alpha. So I’ve got a lot of new music coming out soon! Y’all can expect at least one of those three albums later this year as the others will soon follow.
MuzicNotez: Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your music? Any message for your fans?
- Ron G.: I as an artist am always growing and looking to experiment with new sounds, and ways of recording. I look to myself as an innovator who is inspired by some but copies no one and would like for my fans to know that I will always but their interest first and give them what they want!